Posted by: tflana | April 28, 2014

It has been a long time since a post….

It has been a long time since I posted anything, but we are back full force. Just because nothing was posted does not mean nothing has been accomplished. Brian has been working on Scout 7 days a week since January 1st, and he has made so much progress. Granted he does not think so, but it is starting to come together.

I will write a little about what went on today, and then at some point, give an overview of everything Brian has done over the past 4 months.

Today was the finally a temperature that I could work a full day on the boat. In the shed it was a balmy 65 degrees which made everything more enjoyable. The wind was blowing and the shrink wrap was flipping back and forth, but work must go on. Todays projects included Brian working on our new propane locker and I was sent into the bilge to finish painting the aft lockers. It was definitely easier for my 5′ 5″ frame to fit in the small spaces but it was still a tight fit. At the end of the day, all lockers are painted. One project done!

Tara in the aft Lazarett

Tara in the aft Lazarett

Painting the cockpit locker

Painting the cockpit locker

While I was in the bilge painting, Brian was constructing a new propane locker in the cockpit. This will give us 23 gallons of propane to cook with. He had to cut out 2 8″ circles from a very strong deck and that was the biggest hurtle he faced today. The good news is that our decks are incredibly sturdy, the bad news was Brian spent about 3 hours completing that part of the project. By the end of the day, he had both holes cut out and lined with resin so the 2 tanks will sit tight. He has constructed the wall from fiberglass cloth and resin (13 layers) and will be finishing the locker up this week.

Cutting out the 8" circles from the cockpit deck

Cutting out the 8″ circles from the cockpit deck

Coating the cut outs with resin

Coating the cut outs with resin

20140427_83

20140427_86

I also started on refinishing the woodwork on the deck. Today I was able to sand the forward hatch and the stops that our dingy sit on while underway. I got at least one coat of varnish on the wood, awaiting for a fine sanding and another coat tomorrow night. Hopefully 3 or 4 coats will work. As Brian likes to point out, once I decided to varnish all of the wood, I will be putting a new coat on every few months while we are cruising. I don’t care because it looks sooooooo good!

Forward hatch after sanding

Forward hatch after sanding


Forward hatch after first coat of varnish

Forward hatch after first coat of varnish

We put the new port lights in last week and they look great, except the fact that the excess caulk needed to come off, that was a good hour with a utility knife and my finger nail. Another successful completion of a project!

It has been a good day and we are both tired from a hard day of work. Just another day closer to dropping our lines!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: