Cast of Characters

“Scout” , our 38 foot Pearson Invicta, #21.

This is Scout on January 1, 2013 returning from a great sail into Black Rock Harbor, Bridgeport, CT

This is Scout on January 1, 2013 returning from a great sail into Black Rock Harbor, Bridgeport, CT

“Boo Radley”, a Dyer Midget Dingy. She was only named last winter to go along with Scout. Boo Radley was the neighbor in ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ that saved Scout from the bad guy. Our hope is Boo will be our entertainment in new destinations, as well as be there to save us if needed.

Boo Radley also has a sail package, so sailing her throughout harbors when we come into port has allowed us to see so many great things.

Boo Radley also has a sail package, so sailing her throughout harbors when we come into port has allowed us to see so many great things.

Brian will be handling the brunt of the refit of Scout over the next year.  He rebuilt Scout back in 2007 after he purchased her from The SeaScouts.

Brian at the wheel of Scout over this past summer.

Brian at the wheel of Scout over this past summer.

Tara is new to cruising but is overseeing the electronics and galley of the refit, as well as the budget manager for the project. She is also the reason why a dog or 2 will be traveling with us.

Tara sailing Scout over the July 4th weekend, 2012

Tara sailing Scout over the July 4th weekend, 2012

Phinneus Dog, a 10 year old miniature dachshund. He is a black and tan dapple, kind of a butthead but is willing to try just about anything as long as he is with us.

A crew member with absolutely no useable skills

A crew member with absolutely no useable skills

Pickles, it is official, Pickles is joining the crew! She is our 3-legged chihuahua. Pickles is the princess of the house and soon the princess of the boat. She is shy when you meet her, but food is the key to her heart. She is spending this spring sitting on a friend’s boat and walking the docks to get used to the sailing experience. Hopefully in the next few months she will go out sailing. If she can handle that, she will be the official 4th member of the crew.

Pickles

Pickles

Responses

  1. Great start! I tried to ‘Like’ your page but had trouble registering for the site.

  2. Tara an Brian,

    I own hull number 18 and was thrilled to find your web site. It is exciting to see how you are repairing and updating Scout. Please keep the posts and photos coming. I am learning much about my boat by watching what you do to yours. Stop buy and visit in Elizabeth City NC on your way south. It would be amazing to see two Invictas parked side buy side.

    Joe Harrell

    P.S you can see my boat, Integrity, in the pages of the Sept 2013 Cruising World

    • Joe,
      We saw your boat in cruising world, very nice! I will be posting more pictures and updates on Sunday. We are in panic mode because we have 90 days to finish her and all of the projects seem to be 90% done! The other 10% are where all of the problems are arising. We did go on Burgoo when we were in teh Abacos 2 years ago, Brian was thrilled. Burgoo is the actual Invicta that holds the record for the Newport Bermuda race.

      I will keep your contact info available and will hopefully be sailing your area in November if all goes well.
      Tara

      • Tara,

        Jealous that you and Brian got to go aboard Burgoo. I’ve never actually been on an Invicta other than my own and certainly not aboard one as famous as Burgoo. Good luck with the last 10% and hope you make it to EC. I would love for my wife to see your boat. Perhaps she would be inspired and agree to leave the dirt behind. If you can make it give me some advanced notice and I can arrange a free slip with power and water, transportation and dinner.

        Cheers,

        Joe


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s